Love In Action
Romantics, like myself, tend to see this as the month of love. It is not only Valentine's Day month, but it happens to be my anniversary month.
You might say February is one of my favorite times of year for hearts, flowers, chocolate, cards, and putting all the extra effort into showing my hubby I love him.
But our husband or boyfriend or _____ (you fill in the bank) are not the only ones we need to show love to. As the body of Christ, we are commanded to show love to all.
“A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another. By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.” - John 13:34-35
While we are to show love year round, February is a fun time to go out of our way to show extra love to those around us.
I compiled a short list of ideas to show love in tangible ways to others.
- Gather the kiddos and supply them with craft paper, stickers, glitter (if you dare), glue, and scissors to make homemade valentine's for the elderly. This could be grandparents, the senior citizens class at church, maybe shut-ins at the nursing homes. Deliver the valentines in person.
- Make cookies for the neighbors, whether by yourself or with the kids. Chocolate chip cookies really are a love language. Leave in a basket at their door or maybe take this opportunity to get to know them better.
- Get involved in a volunteer project that benefits the community. Love serves.
- Have a hot chocolate bar for your family some evening! Assemble bowls of peppermints, mini marshmallows, cinnamon, whipped cream, and whatever toppings your family loves. Take a moment to tell your family how much you love them and that the hot chocolate is to remind them that love is sweet. If you live alone, find a friend or neighbor to do this with.
- Love is kind. Kindness is love in action. Purpose to do a kind thing for someone that the Lord lays on your heart. Whatever it is is up to you!
Do you have any ideas for showing love in action? Please share!